Sunday, November 25, 2012

Our Friend John Dahlen

Let me tell a neat story about our dear friend, John Dahlen:
One summer Sunday we were driving to Church and we saw a man walking on the side of the street.  I had the very distinct impression that we should pull over and offer him a ride. I knew that he was going to our Church. Ryan didn't want to stop, and for good reason: you don't stop and pick people up off the side of the road, especially in Cleveland. Ryan has never picked up anyone off the side of the road before and was really hesitant, but after some prodding from me he consented and pulled over.  We asked where he was going and he said he was headed to the Mormon Church, he then asked us if we were Mormons.  We replied that we were and that we were headed to the Church.  He was pleasantly surprised that someone would stop and offer him a ride.  He had ridden the bus, but the last stop is a few miles away from the Church.
We typically arrive at Church about 30 minutes early so that I can print off the ward bulletin.  While I was printing the bulletin, Ryan was able to talk to John.  We became good friends with him.  He continued to meet with the Sister missionaries and set a date to be baptized.
John asked Ryan to be the one to baptize him.  When he found out that we would be out of town for Keshia's wedding he postponed it for another week.  Then when he found out that I was still going to be out of town he decided to wait for me to get back so that I could be there too.
9/21


1 comment:

Julie Miles said...

I am so happy that you guys were instruments in the Lord's hands and became a part of this fine man's life. What joy!