Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Trip To Idaho


On Wednesday, September 21st I decided that I needed to take the kids and go to Idaho to see my dad one more time before he passed away.  Two weeks prior to this my mom and dad called to tell us that my dad decided to stop dialysis and let nature run its course.  My dad's health was very poor and we didn't think that it would take very long for him to leave us. He has been in a wheelchair for 7 years, he lost a leg, he has several bolts and screws holding him together, and he recently fell and broke is shoulder. He was done, he was tired, and ready to move on.
I wasn't planning on going to Idaho until the funeral.  That Wednesday morning I decided that I needed to go to Idaho.  I called my mom and told her what I was thinking and she was happy that I was coming.  I started to look for tickets for the next day, September 22nd.  After talking to my mom I found out that my Aunt Ambie was flying into Salt Lake that same day only an hour after I was.  She was going to rent a car and drive us all up to Idaho.  Everything just fell into place. After some miscommunications about airline tickets (I hate trying to talk to someone who CANNOT speak English, why I have to call India, I have no idea) I purchased my tickets at 8:30 PM and we left the house at 3:30 AM the next morning.  It was crazy running around the house trying to get everything packed and doing the laundry.  I also ran to the store to buy some carry-on suitcases for the boys.  I feel really bad that I left our house looking like a tornado ran through it for Ryan but I didn't sleep at all that night and I was trying to pack the entire time.
We wrapped the suitcases for the boys to open, we said that Santa came early because he wanted the boys to have their suitcases for the trip. The boys have been wanting suitcases with wheels for a long time.
They were so excited that they stayed up until after 11 PM because they couldn't wait to ride on an airplane.
I have NEVER flown before--EVER!! So my first flying experience was flying with THREE kids by myself.  I was very relaxed and calm and knew that everything would be OK.  If you know me, you know that I am not usually like that.  Before we left the house I asked Ryan if he would give me and the kids a blessing.  I am so very thankful that he did, if he hadn't I don't think that I would have made the trip.
We left the house at 3:30 in the morning to get to the airport by 4 so that I could get everything done that I needed to before our flight left at 6.  Ryan was able to get a special security clearance to walk me to the gate, I am so thankful that he did.
This is us heading into the airport from the parking lot.  I have Emily strapped to me in a front carrier, Ryan has our checked baggage along with a carry on and Emily's car seat and Christopher's car seat.  On the stroller there are 2 carry on suitcases hooked on the back with 2 book bags and the diaper bag and Nathanial and Christopher are holding Nathanial's car seat.  We were able to check the car seats so that we didn't have to carry them.

After we arrived at the gate Ryan left to go finish a paper that was due in one of his classes.  The boys were so excited to be riding on an airplane.  There was a really nice lady that came up to me and asked if I needed any help.  I said that I would appreciate it.  I told her my story and that I had never flown before and that I was doing it on my own with 3 kids.  She was an angel sent from above. 
Looking at our plane
Christopher took Curious George home for Preschool and wanted to take him on our trip.
And of course Snuggly had to come too!
When it was our time to board the nice lady (I never did get her name) helped me get the boys and the suit cases down the ramp.  When we got to the end she told the stewardess my story.  The stewardess then asked me if I wanted to check my suitcases through to Salt Lake since we had a connection in Houston.  I was very grateful that this lady who had no idea who I was or knew anything about me was so willing to help me when I needed it most.
The boys were so excited to be on an airplane that they were awake the entire flight to Houston.  They kept opening and closing the window.  They were so good, I owe a BIG thank you to my friend Lisa who gave me some great flying advice! I couldn't have done it without her tips!
When we landed in Houston this same lady who helped us on the plane waited for me to help me off the plane and get me to my connecting flight.  She made sure that there was a shuttle car to take me to my connecting flight.  She deserves the vacation that she was headed to--Hawaii!
The flight from Houston to Salt Lake was uneventful which I was very glad.  The boys were so good, and so was Emily.  They didn't fight, they even shared Curious George as a pillow and slept most of the flight.  Emily wasn't fussy or anything.
The view was really something.  There were clear skies from Houston to Salt Lake and the boys wanted me to sit by the window.
Just before landing in Salt Lake, Christopher got a bloody nose.  Emily was hungry at the same time so I was trying to feed her so that she wasn't crying and trying to take care of a bloody nose.  Once again an angel was sent to help me.  A young lady (early 30s) come over to help me with Christopher's nose.  We were talking and she told me that she has three kids and this is her first time flying by herself without them so she knows what I am going though.  I told her this was my first time flying and that I was doing it with 3 kids.
We arrived in Salt Lake and had to rent a cart in order for me to be able to get it all.  There was a nice young missionary coming home from his mission to Peru who helped me get my luggage and carseats off the carrousel and onto the cart.  My flight came in an hour before my aunt's was so we took a potty break and found a deserted area to let the kids run around while we waited.
I received a phone call from my aunt saying that she was unable to get on the plane that she thought she could and that she was going to try and get on the next one and that would be 2 hours later.  I was fine with that, the boys were having fun playing with their new Cars 2 toys that I bought them for the trip and they enjoyed watching the luggage on the carrousel.  A little while later Ambie called saying that she couldn't get on the second flight and that she would get on the next one.  After waiting in the airport for 5 hours we were finally able to leave.  It wasn't as bad as it sounds, I let the boys run around and I had plenty of snacks.  We stopped at Burger King where Ambie treated us to dinner.  Emily has hated her car seat since the day she was born.  I felt so bad for Ambie who had to listen to her scream the entire drive to Blackfoot; she stopped crying when we made it to the Malad Pass.  After an hour or so I was able to tune her out and fell asleep.  I was so exhausted, it had been a long day.
We made it to Blackfoot around 9:30.  I was able to visit with my dad before the kids and I headed up to Idaho Falls to stay.
I was glad that I went out and was able to have a private minute with my dad.  If you know me then you know that I didn't have the best relationship with my dad.  He called and talked to me and apologized for all that he did to me, I was still upset with him and really didn't care that that he was dying (I know that sounds like I am a complete jerk--please don't judge).  I knew that I wanted to make my peace with him before he was gone.  I went into his room and introduced him to Emily.  My mom came and took her and sat in the room with my dad for a few minutes before I said anything.  I knew that this was the end.  I knew this was the last night for him.  I knew he was ready to go.  I took his hand in mine and told him that I was sorry and that I loved him.  He started to make noises and I knew that he was trying to tell me that he loved me and I could feel his love.  I knew that he could hear me and that he knew that I was there and he understood what I said to him.  I let go of his hand and he started to move his arm like he was reaching for me to keep holding on.  I know that my dad loved me.  I know that he waited until I was able to see him before he passed away. He passed away the next morning (September 23rd).  I am glad that the burden of hatred that I have been carrying for so long is gone.  I know that my dad is in a better place. I am thankful for the knowledge of the gospel and the comfort that it gives in these hard times.  Faby and Angel took the kids for me while the funeral home came to take my dad.  Before they took him I suggested that our family have a little prayer, just us, my mom, me and my siblings (and Ambie sneaking in).  It was nice to have a moment with just us.
The next few days were filled with arranging the funeral and visiting with family.  After the funeral we spent some time visiting with family and enjoying our time in Idaho.
Kadon Miles playing with Emily

Christopher in Emily's car seat with a gun!
We were looking through pictures trying to decide which ones I wanted to use in the collage and we came across some of my brother Alex and thought that Christopher looked a lot like him.
My mom had the hose on at her house and the boys were outside playing on the trampoline and the next thing that we know they come in and are soaking wet so they had to borrow some very large T-shirts.
While in Idaho we stayed in Idaho Falls with Ryan's parents, they have a guest bedroom with a crib.  I was letting the boys sleep in the queen-size bed with me and somehow I would end up being squashed.  I started to sleep across the end of the bed.
What a cutie!


One of the nights that we were there my brothers brought their climbing gear and hoisted the boys up the tree.
Christopher was scared at first but once he was up in the air he was happy.
Alex was really good with Christopher (I think it had something to do with the fact that he is a mini-Alex in looks and personality)
Nathanial never had trouble finding anyone to play with.
Leah, Cassidy, Nathanial, Hailey
All the Christensen Cousins: Kyle, Liam, Brandon, Nathanial, Emily, Cassidy, and Christopher
Emily and her tongue
We made sure that we visited with Grandma Jensen.  She had 4-Great granddaughters born this year.  Emily was the first followed by Brooklynn, then Ari and finally in August, Brooke.  
One of our favorite things is to sit out on the back porch and talk.
We were always on the go while in Idaho. 
Eating pears on the tramp
Emily started this tongue thing...
Aunt Lanie found some animals that were supposed to be for birthday presents, but never made it that far. So she gave them to the boys. They included a stuffed animal chameleon and the very hungry caterpillar.  Later she gave the boys each a stuffed Clifford animal.  When it came time for bed the boys HAD to have ALL their animals.  Christopher had the hungry caterpillar, Curious George, and Clifford.  Nathanial had Snuggly, the chameleon, and Clifford.  Also every night before falling asleep I would call Ryan and he would read Harry Potter to them until they fell asleep.
My cousins from Colorado came and Nathanial enjoyed playing with Emerson and Finley.  Once they found out that they were all 4 years old they were inseparable.  Kade was out there to supervise.
Jay also came and held Emily too.  It was nice to see my family.  I feel like I have missed out on a lot since we moved to Ohio.
The boys were so excited that Alex took them for a tractor ride.  They had so much fun.
Their faces say it all...
I always thought that it was funny when my cousins would come and visit and think that the farm was so cool.  I guess now I am raising some of those "city" kids!
Drive off into the sunset in a tractor...boy heaven!
Thanks Uncle Fee-Fee (that is the name the boys called Alex)
On Thursday we headed over to Grandma Jensen's house to mow her lawn.  This is one of the things that Nathanial misses about living in Idaho is mowing Grandma's lawn every week.  I miss visiting with Grandma every week.
Mily sat in her car seat while I mowed.
Emme's paws were covered in grass and dyed green.
Mommy and Christopher mowing the lawn
Nathanial shoveling up the grass.
Nathanial was using a hoe to scrape the grass into his shovel to dump in the grass pile.
We spent a lot of time visiting with my mom and playing at her house...
We also had the opportunity to watch Kadon play football.  He is #41.  I don't remember the score but I know that he won.
Mily eating licorice.
Collin holding Mily
Christopher enjoyed his licorice
Me and Mily cheering for the BRONCOS!!!
The boys had fun tormenting/playing with Collin.  He is such a great sport.
By the end of the game Christopher was so tired that he laid down on the ground and covered himself with his blanket.
After the game we headed down to the field to catch Kadon.
The boys with Kadon
Christopher-the future football star!
Nathanial what a silly goose!
Mily getting a kiss from Kadon.
Nathanial loves music!
Strumming on the guitar

Mily with Grandma Julie
Mily with her tongue!
Kadon was headed out to a party with his friends rather than staying and playing with us, so...I messed up his hair.
Karen, Lanie, and I went to see "The Help" while I was in Idaho.  I have been wanting to go for a while but was never able to go.  Karen was nice nice enough to take us.  Grandma Jensen, Aunt Penny, and Clay watched the boys while we went to the movie.  I think that they had fun without me :) While we were gone Christopher was playing around the recliner chair and ended up cutting his foot.  He didn't cry and no one knew exactly how or when it happened.
LeNell made a trip down from Montana with her three youngest kids, Avery, Aiden, and Ari, to see us.  Emily and Arianna are just a few weeks apart.  Emily is the oldest of the girls born in the Jensen family but is by far the smallest.  Ari is so sweet and such a good baby!
sharing toys
Family--I am so thankful for such a great family and family-in-law!
LeNell's back, Lanie hiding, Penny holding Ari, Grandma Jensen holding Mily, Avery, and Nathanial
Nathanial and Avery were inseperatable while they were here.  They wanted to stay the night together so Nathanial went to sleep with Avery at his other Grandma's house in Firth.  I was sad to let him go.  I wasn't sure if he was going to go and if he would actually stay the night, but he did.  I called the next morning and he was having too much fun with Avery to talk.  He is getting so big too fast!
Lanie asked me not to post picture of her online BUT I need to show you these because Emily reminds me of Lanie, what do you think?
Maybe with the matching tongues...
Thank you LeNell for making the trip with 3 little kids to see us!  It was great to meet Ari!
While we were in Idaho Alex and Angel brought over Christopher's birthday present, a remote control "Dr. Evil Porkchop".  He was having a blast with it!  Thanks Uncle Fee-Fee and Aunt Angel.
Before we headed to Utah to catch our flight we headed over to Leo's Place for a little fun.  Keshia made a trip up from Logan to see us.

Cassidy and Nathanial
Keshia and Nathanial
Keshia, Nathanial, Grandma Julie, Christopher, Cassidy, and Mily
Lanie purchased tokens for the four boys to play the various games in the arcade.  They would collect tickets and bring them back to the table.  When the tokens were gone they traded in the tickets for prizes.  The boys played so well together.
While the older boys played on the toys the little girls played...
I think that Mily looks like a baby doll in this picture

After we finished at Leo's I went back to Clay and Karen's to finish packing and getting ready to make the journey home.  My mom picked me up and we made our way to Utah to stay the night at my aunt and uncle's house in Roy, Utah.  I needed to be at the airport by 6 AM so we figured it was best to stay in Utah rather than trying to go down in the morning. 
Grandma and Mily
I was trying to get a picture of my mom with the kids but my kids were having way too much fun...
Grandma, Mily, Nathanial, Christopher, and 1/2 Logan
Saying goodbye...
After dinner Kent and Betty made brownies, the boys ate them outside on the steps...
Christopher, Logan, Nathanial, and Zachary
That night we played with toys and played with the Wii.  We played a few games of Mario Cart and Just Dance 2.
The next morning we left the house just after 5 AM.  I wish that I could say that the trip home was as good as the trip to Idaho but it was a lot more crazy.  We loaded up the car and my uncle Kent drove me to the airport and watched the boys while I checked in and checked our luggage.  We then went through security where I was selected for a "random" search.  When I was told that I was selected for this search I about broke into tears.  How was I suppose to take care of three kids by myself and get searched?  Luckily, the lady took pity on me and let me go.
We found the terminal that we needed and we were so early that the flight before us hadn't even boarded.  I was standing there looking around and saw a friend from our ward in Cleveland.  The plane that we rode on was a smaller one.  It had two rows that were two seats wide.  Christopher and I sat on one side and Nathanial sat across the isle by himself.  It was a nice flight.  The flight attendant gave the boys "wings".  The flight attendant was GREAT!! Anytime that the boys were acting up or Emily was fussy she came over and entertained.  She taught Nathanial how to do "chicken wings".  You will have to ask him about this.  It is a 3 step process: 1. high five 2. knuckles 3. chicken wings (you bump elbows).
Once we arrived in Chicago we had around an hour to get to our connecting flight.  I got off the plane with the boys, we got the stroller and the three carry-on suitcases and headed to our connection.  When we left the terminal I asked if there was a shuttle that could take us to our connection.  I was told "no" but then was told that there was a shuttle that could take me from terminal C to terminal F.  I waited in the line for 10-15 minutes. Once I got to the front of the line I was informed that I would have to go down 2 flights of stairs.  HELLO!! How was I suppose to do that with 3 kids, a stroller, 3 carry-on suitcases, a diaper bag, and two back packs?!?! Needless to say, I was FRUSTRATED!!!  I got out of line and tried to figure out what direction I needed to go to get to the right terminal.  After what seemed like forever I figured it out.  I put the backpacks and diaper bag in the stroller, I hooked two of the three carry-on suitcases to the stroller, I put Emily in the front carrier and Christopher in the stroller.  I had Nathanial carry the other carry-on and we RAN!!  We were about as far away as possible from where we needed to be and no one was willing to help us.  Nathanial was such a trooper to try and keep up with me.  I kept promising him quarters if he just kept running.  He made it about half way before he couldn't pull the suitcase.  I ended up pushing the stroller in one hand and pulling the suitcase in the other.  I would have loved to see a picture of us running through the airport.  
We barely made our connecting flight.  Everyone was boarding and we were one of the last people on the plane.  Once again we were separated.  Christopher and I were on one side while Nathanial was on the other side of the isle. There were three seats on each side but someone had the window seat. I asked the gentleman if he wouldn't mind switching Nathanial seats and he was happy to. 
I was glad that it was a short flight.  When we landed we met up with Clay and Karen at the rental car place.

4 comments:

granyj said...

I just want to let you know your blog brought a few tears but also some laughs. I'm so happy you were able to make peace with your father. It is hard to always be right while raising our children. Also I love the pictures of your mom holding Mily so sweet.

Denisse said...

what a trip Kara! you are a trooper. thank goodness for those 'angels' along the way that gave you a hand. i'm glad you got to see your dad before he passed. forgiveness is a very difficult thing to do. you have a good heart and i admire you. hugs to everyone!

CJ & LJ said...

I am glad you made it back. Big WHEW! It was so nice to see you and your kiddos. They are all so sweet. Next time you fly, it will be easier. I know I've learned to always ask flight personnel the easiest way to get somewhere. Also, when you're running late, they can let another flight know. Another thing I learned recently is that when you checkin at your gate, you can ask if your family can be together in a row. Sometimes it doesn't work but 9 times out of 10, you can get your seating switched.

Beatrice said...

I'm glad the flights went well for you and that some people helped you. I was so nervous when I was going to fly to Sweden by myself with 3 kids but it was so worth it! Some people told me I was crazy but I just kept going and told myself. "I can do this!" Your kids are so cute!