Saturday, November 19, 2011

Halloween

This year the kids had 5 days of various Halloween parties/events that they dressed up for.
Nathanial wanted to be Harry Potter this year and for a while so did Christopher.  About a week or two before Halloween and about the same time I started to make Nathanial's costume, Christopher decided that he was going to be a transformer.  I was fine with that because we already had the costume so I didn't have to do anything.  The day before our ward trunk-or-treat Christopher decided that he wanted to be Harry Potter too.  So that night I ended up making his costume.  
October 21, 2011: Friday night the costumes came together in time for the trunk-or-treat.  It was really cold and this is the only picture I have from the event.  We invited our friends the Brannan's to come with us.  Emily was a lady bug.
October 22, 2011: Saturday was the CADA annual Halloween Carnival at the Case Farm.  It was a lot smaller this year.  There was a corn hole competition this year too.  Thanks to Jenny for taking these pictures!
Christopher
Christopher on his broom
Nathanial on his broom, it was a Firebolt
Nathanial as Harry Potter
Our little lady bug (too bad you can't see her tutu)
October 24, 2011: On Monday for FHE we decided to carve our pumpkins only this year I found these "potato head" type faces.  The boys loved to make the faces!
Nathanial and his pumpkin
Christopher and his pumpkin (this day he decided to be a transformer)
October 27, 2011: On Thursday, we had our annual preschool Halloween party.  The kids were so excited to come to preschool in their costumes and play games.
We had a pirate, Harry Potter, a kitty, another Harry Potter, a mermaid, a ghost, and I was the tooth fairy.
Playing musical "shares"
Everyone sharing the last chair
Pin the face on the ghost
He was happy once his face was put together :)
October 29, 2011: On Saturday we headed over to our friends, the Madsen's, for their annual Halloween party.  We had a lot of fun playing Just Dance. For more fun check out the Madsen's Blog HERE
I was the tooth fairy, Ryan was my secretary, Christopher was a transformer, Nathanial was Harry Potter, and Emily was a lady bug.
Yummy!
A green coffin
October 31, 2011: On Monday, for Halloween I made "mummies and blood" for dinner.
After dinner Ryan took the boys and headed around the block for Trick-or-Treating.  I stayed at home with Emily (who went to bed) to pass out candy.  This year I am the president of CADA.  It is a group for the spouses of dental students.  Part of being the president is that you have to store all the "stuff" at your house.  I went through everything that CADA has and found about 300 random toothbrushes that were given to us that have been handed from president to president for who knows how long. so I decided to divide them up between a couple of CADA members and hand them out along with our candy on Halloween.  They were a BIG hit!
 
For trick-or-treating Christopher went as Spiderman and Nathanial was Harry Potter
As many of you know I try to make my kids' Halloween costumes every year and I like to try and make a "theme" out of it.  This year one night for FHE we sat down and decided as a family what we were going to be.  We decided to do a "bug" theme.  Ryan was going to be a stick bug, I was going to be a butterfly, Nathanial was going to be a fire fly (complete with a light), Christopher was going to be a caterpillar, and Emily was going to be a lady bug.  I went to the fabric store and bought all the fabric that I needed to make the costumes and the next day Nathanial and Christopher decided that they want to be Harry Potter instead.  I sighed and grumbled to myself and then went to work thinking how I was going to make Harry Potter costumes so here is what I did: I made very simple black robes, laminated a printout of the Grifindor symbol, I bought a pair of metal frame glasses at the dollar store, popped out the lenses and re-shaped them.  For the brooms I bought a toilet plunger from the dollar store and replaced the plunger end with sticks that I found in the back yard and wrapped them with brown yarn. a simple eye-liner lightning bolt did the trick for the scar.  As far as Emily's costumes goes I bought a little jammy set that had the polka-dots on it and just made a little black and red tu-tu to go with it along with the black headband and red antenna out of a pipe cleaner (thanks Deana-bug for the pipe cleaner)!

1 comment:

Julie Miles said...

Christopher had it made--3 different costumes! How fun is that ;) The boys made exceptionally cute Harry Potters and Mily is the cutest little bug I've ever seen! Kara, you made an awesome toothfairy and Ryan, love the glasses! So muchy fun ;)