Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Questions About Emily

We have had a few questions about Emily and her health,  rather than answer each question multiple times we are going to answer them on here.  Thank you for all your prayers!  We can see a physical change in Emily, she LOOKS bigger but we take her in on Tuesday for her check up and we will see what the doctor says.

First off I want to say how much I like my pediatrician.  He is genuinely concerned about Emily and how I am doing and dealing with all the information.  He calls me personally to talk over any tests that we have done and check to see how Emily is doing.  He will also make sure the boys are doing good even if I don't have an appointment for them.  I think that I lucked out with our pediatrician.

Emily is babbling.
Emily can roll around and she does, when she wants to.  The problem is that she doesn't seem to want to move very much.
Ryan and I are both pretty small so it is no surprise that Emily is small, the concern is that she is not following a growth curve.
As far as her fine motor skills are concerned, she is a pro!  She is great with her finger thumb grasp.  She transfers things from one hand to the other.  She tracks objects and even knows where they are even if they are out of sight.  We don't think that there is anything wrong cognitively.  She is VERY smart!
Emily looks perfectly normal, there isn't anything "unusual" looking about her. We don't think that it is a genetic problem.
Emily is weak.  She can't get herself to sitting but she can sit by herself.  She doesn't crawl.  We are hoping that the weekly physical therapy sessions will help with this.
Emily's hearing and vision tests came back normal. 
Emily was small at birth she weighed 5 lbs 13 oz.  It isn't an issue of her being small it is more the fact that she is not growing on a growth curve.  
She hasn't lost weight she just isn't gaining weight. She eats a TON!  She eats 4-6 containers of baby food a a day.  She also nurses 4-6 times a day.  She isn't spitting up as much as she was, which is good.  We are going to have her stomach looked at.  The doctor wants to do an x-ray of her eating.

We will take her in this afternoon for another appointment.  We will update the blog then.  We love all of you!

3 comments:

Lanie Sue Madere said...

I am so glad Emily has such a great pediatrician. I am glad our prayers are helping her to grow. She is in the prayers of pretty much all of our extended family and of the people in my ward and of my friends and her name is in multiple temples. I know that with all the prayers Heavenly Father is receiving on Emily's behalf that she is going to grow and catchup to the other children at some point. She is going to grow up and be healthy and strong. I think about her often and pray for her daily. Heavenly Father loves sweet little Emily and He loves you and your family. I know everything is going to turn out alright. I sure love and miss you all. Thank you for keeping your blog up to date. I look forward to hearing more news of how Emily is growing as well as what is going on with the rest of your family.

CJ & LJ said...

Thanks for the update. Let us know if there's anythign we can do.

The Brandt Clan Fam! said...

We love precious Emily and are praying for her, you, and the Dr.'s! Thank you for updating and please keep them coming. She is such a doll! A good caring pediatrician can make such a huge difference so I'm glad you love yours.